Thursday, April 09, 2009

Runnin' again...

Howdy folks!

Spring is (finally) starting to spring, which means that Hannah's sneakers want to hit the pavement, right?! Yes!!! In theory, at least. Yes, I'm planning on running the Dexter-Ann Arbor Half Marathon at the end of May...but I may be heading into my 3rd half marathon ever so slightly under-trained. Again.

"I don't think about risks much. I just do what I want to do. If you gotta go, you gotta go." -- Lillian Carter


See, I've had some unfortunate developments that are hindering the training part. I'd had a planned surgery lined up to remove a hernia (yes, a hernia! Random.), but was blind-sided last week by a melanoma diagnosis and a couple of surgeries. Earliest stage possible and a 95% survival rate after 5 years...just puts a damper on any running plans when you can't use your right arm for a thing.

"[Wo]men are born to succeed, not fail." -- Henry David Thoreau


REGARDLESS, I'm runnin' and raisin' again. The best lesson for me to walk, er, RUN away with is that life won't stop for my personal health...and I'd rather lead by example and keep on keepin' on.

"Jealousy is all the fun you think they had." -- Erica Jong

So, I'm running with my fanTAStic Team Tiara ladies in May. And besides awareness that we'll be raising, I also have a personal fundraising goal of $625. Why that amount? Well, it'll put 5 girls through the 12-week Girls on the Run program...and our girls deserve it!

Check 'em out: www.girlsontherunsemi.org
Check ME out: www.firstgiving.org/hashmore

One of my longest-term friends who also happens to be an amazing runner (and is running Boston again) turned me on to a song that happens to stumble into iPod rotation at THE most opportune moments. The part that always gets me re-revved (particularly now) is this:

Cause when push comes to shove
You taste what you're made of
You might bend, till you break
Cause its all you can take

On your knees you look up
Decide you've had enough
You get mad you get strong
Wipe your hands shake it off
Then you Stand


Thank you, Rascal Flatts for the words. I'm standing...stand with me? Please consider making a donation - of any amount. (If for some reason, the click-thru doesn't work, the link is: www.firstgiving.com/hashmore) If a donation isn't possible, please consider coming out and cheering us on along the route - 13.1 miles needs a toooooon of cheerleaders!!!

"Follow the grain in your own wood." -- Howard Thurman


Sorry for being long-winded...but thanks for making it this far!

More life,
Hannah

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man and work like a dog." -- Caroline K. Simon

"She was a woman who, between courses, could be graceful with her elbows on the table." - Henry James

No comments: