Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Really? Cancer?

So, post-melanoma diagnosis, I'm struggling with the idea of being a cancer survivor. Why struggling?

Well, am I? Am I a survivor?

Technically, yes, I am. But I don't feel like my 'battle with cancer' was hard enough. Really. No, I'm not having any fun with the Frankenstein-like arm I have now. It's inconvenient, ugly, and looks like someone took a melon baller to my upper arm. I can't lift anything (in daily life), running isn't in my foreseeable future, and even typing is a strenuous activity.

In general, I'm highly frustrated. Granted, I'm ALIVE and highly frustrated...but it's still difficult.

I didn't expect to be this flummuxed about whether or not I'm a 'survivor.' But maybe that's because I'm struggling to grasp that what I had - H-A-D...past tense - was cancer.

No comments: