Sunday, September 28, 2008

musings. i'm still procrastinating...

1. 2 days left in NYC and, yes, I'm not finished packing. And I worked the last 2 days on a (crazy) event...that left me super exhausted and, still, unpacked.

2. I'm so very, terribly, utterly ready to leave NYC. I'll miss my friends, public transportation, and the convenience of having anything you want whenever you want however you want. But that's it. Is that a lot?

3. I don't want to drive a truck again for a long, long, long time. After (barely) clipping another truck's mirror in DC, to a 1,200 mile long-haul in a 24-footer from DC to New Orleans, to - essentially - living in the cab of a 15-footer for the last 2 days, to, yes, taking care of my own move to Michigan (10-12 hours in a 16-footer with 100 lbs-worth of dog)...I have come to the conclusion that I'm not interested in being a long-haul trucker. Ever.

4. As much as it makes me nutso, I do love the event world. There's something bonding about being up all night, working your ass off, being soaking wet (sweat or rain), having dirty fingernails, playing with 'snips' and leathermen, having a crap-tacular event tan (think worse than farmer's)...the list could go on.

5. I have really great friends.

6. Coming out of semi-retirement is gonna be difficult. Especially as I'm heading into a true, indefinite period of retirement while I'm hanging out with the madre. Although, there are many odd jobs I could (and probably will) do, not knowing how long I'll be there makes decision-making difficult.

7. I was pulled over (in a truck) for the first time in nearly 10 years recently...and I haven't been that flustered or pee-my-pants nervous in a really long time.

8. I've been obsessing about what squirrel poop looks like. Anyone know? You see bum poo, dog poo, cat poo, and bird poo all the time. I've seen horse, elephant, sheep, goat, camel, and more. But I have no idea what squirrel poo looks like.

9. I'm tired. Really, really tired. Ok. Gotta go pack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well girl - you're in the "home stretch"....the sun is setting in the west and in just a few hours you will be driving off into the sunset - with the big city as your backdrop.

Your time here has been successful. You survived here both as an employee in a successful organization - and as the seductive, truly New York-esque Freelancer! "If you can make it here - you'll make it ANYWHERE!"

I have no doubts that the next leg of your journey will take on a wonderous and interesting adventure. After all, it is YOUR life that I'm referring to and we know that You require nothing but the most interesting!

So, with a deep breath, and long, sad sigh, I stand across the river - giving you that slow, pageant queen farewell wave (I'll leave the tiara at home) - with tears strolling down my face...wishing you nothing but the best.

Happy Trails my friend!

xoxo