Thursday, June 12, 2008

Daniel. And Mount McKinley.

The tone for my Alaska experience was set yesterday. If I can just keep this feeling ever-present for the entire trip, then I will have a wonderful, opening, life-changing experience.

I was working out at the Telectroscope yesterday as I have been on/off for the last month or so. It was another beastly hot day and our crap tanlines (think farmer's tan, but worse) just kept getting worse. 'Twas the end of my shift and, I can't lie, I was counting down the minutes. I was also trying - and failing - not to melt in the heat because I had to get to our pre-Alaska Team in Training meeting.

Across from the Telectrscope, on Pier 1 in Brooklyn Heights, there was a production crew setting up a stage and sound system to shoot a pre-recorded July 4th show - go Kenny Chesney! All day, the guys had been taking turns to wander over, trying to figure out what this Victorian-looking contraption was. As we're wont to do, we explained the story, blah blah blah - we're all people-persons, but, DUDE, we'd been there a month and there are only so many times you can schpiel it up!!

*pause.

Back story - so, I'd just finished telling a couple of the girls that I worked with about my preference for tall, strapping, good-lookin', broad-shouldered men who ooze charisma. Throw in a shaved head, a big nose, and some tattoos (all optional, never required)...well, this kitten purrs.

*unpause.

So, what walks up? Tall, strapping, charismatic man with deliciously broad shoulders. Sure he had hair (bald is NOT a requirement, Laila! I've dated men with hair!!), but he was definitely a man who commanded attention. Yum! Yes, I started schpieling...and (mildly) flirting. Ok. Fine. There wasn't mild flirting. I was full-on shakin' my tail feathers and batting my eyelashes. I can't help it!

He introduced himself (Daniel) and asked if I'd be around the following week, as the crew would be back for another shoot. I told him the Telectroscope project would be closing before then, but that I'd be in Alaska anywhoooo.

"Alaska? What's taking you there?" asked Mr. Strapping.

I gave my half marathon and Team in Training schpiel...and didn't fail to mention that I love the wildness of the Last Frontier. (Can't you just see the tail feathers shakin'??)

He, too, loves Alaska. And went there years ago for his own Last Frontier adventure and to spread his mother's grave dirt at the top of McKinley. He summited (19 days up, 3 to get down) and took a - small - souvenir home, a silver dollar-sized piece of rock. He finished his story by taking out the rock, saying that he'd been carrying it in his pocket every day for 17 years, and can't imagine not having it. I can imagine it's more like a worry stone now...something tangible and grounding.

Unfortunately, he had to get back to work, so my tail feathers put themselves back in their proper place, we shook hands, and he walked off. I changed out of my staff shirt, grabbed my bag, and was in the middle of saying goodbye to the girls when...

Yep, he came back. He stood there with Tori, Laila, and I, pulled out the rock and said, "I haven't ever done this. I want to give you some of the rock...I want you take me on your journey." And he broke the rock into two pieces, giving me one.

Big, strapping man with heart...and he teared up, too. And he was indeed with me in Alaska.

Defining moment. Will I ever see him again? I don't know. We didn't exchange information and I have no clue how to find him. If we're meant to cross paths again, then we will...the Universe is wonderfully sneaky like that. If not, then I hope he knows that he made a long-, long-lasting impression on this woman. And, no, not just because he was a hunka hunka burnin' man...there was so much more to that moment.

Thank you, Daniel. Thank you for running with me.

No comments: